The house was built in 1871 by Bill Slater and Bibleback Brown just two miles from its current location at the museum for the first permanent residents of the Snake River Valley--Noah Reader and his family, Roshanna, George, William, and Albert Reader. was originally located about two miles east of the museum near the river. This building was the residence of the first white woman to call the valley her home. Noah’s wife, Rossanna, was well trained in helping people in need of medical treatment using herbs and other remedies; a skill she had many opportunities to use. She also befriended the local Native Americans who called her “the Medicine Woman”. In 2007 Mac McAllister donated the cabin and the funds to have it relocated and in 2010 it was moved to the Little Snake River Museum. The cabin is now representative of a typical trapper home in the late 19th Century, complete with a sod roof.
The cabin is listed on:
The National Register of Historic Places
The Wyoming Register of Historic Places
The Smithsonian Institute #48CR3572