The museum in Savery is open through the end of October weather permitting
Monday - Saturday
The Outlaw Stop
for the season
Jim Baker Cabin
The most well know building at the Little Snake River Museum, the Jim Baker Cabin housed one of the last great Mountain Men of the American West. The home, built in 1873 now sits just a few miles from its original site at the base of Savery Hill. At 55-years-old Baker built the cabin completely by hand creating at the time, one of the only permanent buildings in a land filled with Shoshone teepees. Baker held close relationships with this tribe and Native Americans throughout the area, even marrying two of the Shoshoni chief’s daughters, Marina and Mary. With these women and his Yantse wife Eliza, Baker fathered 11 children, eight of whom grew into adulthood. Along with being the family home the house served as a trading post and briefly before the Meeker Massacre as a fort for valley settlers. During its brief time as a fort a third story was added to the cabin to be used as a lookout. In 1898 Baker died in the cabin at the age of 80 and nearly twenty years later in 1917 Baker’s cabin was relocated by the State of Wyoming to Frontier Park in Cheyenne, Wyoming. The cabin remained in Cheyenne until Paul McAllister, Baker’s great-grandson, directed its reconstruction and donation to the Little Snake River Museum.
Jim Baker was born in 1818 and died in 1898 and is buried nearby in the Baker Cemetery along with many of his family members and decendents. The Madeline House, also located at the museum, belonged to his daughter Madeline Baker Adams. View the Jim Baker Biography.